Welcome to the official Lincoln Continental Club
- approved by the Lincoln Motor Company -

Custom Search

The 2017 Lincoln Continental Forum is Here

Welcome to Lincoln Continental Forum - Lincoln Continental Registry

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Continental Forum and the Lincoln Continental Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community. The sign up process is simple, fast, free and requires minimal information for you to signup.

Lincoln Continental Club Benefits Include:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account or login with Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AWD and Torque Vectoring . . . Is this the new RWD?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Radmanna

Radmanna

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:29 AM

Hello.

Questions please about the 2017 Continental being offered in AWD and with the AWD using torque vectoring.  I'm interested because I'm still driving a 2001 Grand Marquis, and I really like RWD.

1.  With the premium turbo motor, the AWD with TV will be standard.  Will the Continental that comes with a non-turbo V6 engine (3.7 Liter?) be offered with an available AWD with TV?

2.  Is the AWD with TV the constant configuration as to how power is channeled to all four wheels, or is the AWD only engaged when it is manually turned on (with a switch?) by the driver?  In other words, would the AWD with TV be engaged 24/7 and regardless of weather and terrain?

3.  Does anyone have experience with AWD that works with torque vectoring?

4.  What are your comments about Lincoln Continental's AWD with TV? 

5.  Will this become the standard for AWD in the future for all AWD cars?  Is the next best thing to having a RWD?

#2 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• Continental Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:3.0L GTID
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

I have an AWD MKS and it does not have torque vectoring so I cannot answer your all of your questions.  Based on the press release, it appears that TV is included with the AWD and I cannot imagine it not being available with all engines but I do not know for sure.  There is no switch to turn it on.  It is a seamless system that works automatically depending upon throttle position, whether the car is going straight or turning as well as other factors.  And no, there is not a constant configuration of how power is transmitted to the four wheels.  It varies depending upon the situation.

However, I am curious about why you like RWD on a car like a Continental or a 2001 Grand Marquis.  I understand the desire for RWD on a sports-type car like a Mustang or even on a sports sedan like a BMW 3 series.  Other than the potential for less front overhang and possible styling benefits, I don't quite understand the desire for RWD on a larger luxury biased vehicle.

Why do you feel that RWD is superior and that AWD with TV might be "the next best thing" to having it?

#3 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

Lincoln Motor Company will be on here soon to answer your questions concerning the 2017 Continental.

#4 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

I have an AWD MKS and it does not have torque vectoring so I cannot answer your all of your questions.  Based on the press release, it appears that TV is included with the AWD and I cannot imagine it not being available with all engines but I do not know for sure.  There is no switch to turn it on.  It is a seamless system that works automatically depending upon throttle position, whether the car is going straight or turning as well as other factors.  And no, there is not a constant configuration of how power is transmitted to the four wheels.  It varies depending upon the situation.

However, I am curious about why you like RWD on a car like a Continental or a 2001 Grand Marquis.  I understand the desire for RWD on a sports-type car like a Mustang or even on a sports sedan like a BMW 3 series.  Other than the potential for less front overhang and possible styling benefits, I don't quite understand the desire for RWD on a larger luxury biased vehicle.

Why do you feel that RWD is superior and that AWD with TV might be "the next best thing" to having it?

Are you considering getting a Lincoln Continental?

#5 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

I plan to replace my MKS with a Continental equipped with the Reserve package and the 3.0.   The only thing that would derail that plan would be if the Continental pricing is higher than I anticipate.  If so, I will probably go with the MKZ, Reserve and 3.0.  

Edited by brucelinc, 23 February 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   LincolnClient

LincolnClient

• Official Lincoln
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln Continental
  • LocationDecline

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

Lincoln Motor Company will be on here soon to answer your questions concerning the 2017 Continental.

We've arrived, Robert!  :)

Todd

#7 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

My dealer provided me with a very nice large brochure on the 2017 Continental.  It appeared to be designed for dealership training but it outlined the option packages, colors, standard equipment, etc.  All I need now is pricing information and the dealer thought it would likely be April or May before that would be available.  

So far, I like what I see.  

#8 OFFLINE   Thomas

Thomas

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

We've arrived, Robert!  :)

Todd

Welcome to the site Todd

#9 OFFLINE   LincolnClient

LincolnClient

• Official Lincoln
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln Continental
  • LocationDecline

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to the site Todd

Thanks, Thomas. I'm delighted to be here and answer any questions that may come up.

Todd

#10 OFFLINE   EcoBoost

EcoBoost

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid & 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:55 AM

-wrong thread-

Edited by EcoBoost, 21 March 2016 - 12:57 AM.

x4qdqb.jpg2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve, Ruby Red Metallic, Light Dune interior, Technology Package, Panoramic Roof, 19" Painted Pockets Wheels, Multi-Contour Seats, THX Audio.
n15opi.jpg2015 Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x4, Bright White, Dark Brown interior, Platinum Package, CD-Player.

#11 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:1999 Renault Megane Convertible (222'222km), 2012 Toyota GT86 (77'777km), 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
  • LocationMetro Detroit Area

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:43 PM

I'm delighted to be here and answer any questions that may come up.

Todd

Hi, question on the AWD and torque vectoring: It's said / advertised that the AWD system is similar to (or even the same as) the Focus RS' system. Now, if that's the case, where is the track and drift mode hidden in the menu?  B)

-- 

"There is a curse. They say, may you live in intersting times!", Terry Pratchett

#12 OFFLINE   Town

Town

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:2.7L GTDI
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:57 PM

Hi, question on the AWD and torque vectoring: It's said / advertised that the AWD system is similar to (or even the same as) the Focus RS' system. Now, if that's the case, where is the track and drift mode hidden in the menu?  B)

I don't know about track and drift modes, but there are 2 AWD systems available for the 2017 Continental in Canada, so I presume the same for the US. I read an article on how these systems work which is as follows (if I understood correctly):

The 3 liter engine option comes with the torque vectoring system and a higher numerical final drive (3.39) for lower gearing and faster acceleration. The torque vectoring overspeeds as necessary each rear axle gear (outboard and supplemental to the differential). The TV system always drives 4 wheels.

The 2.7 liter engine comes with the Inteligent AWD system using a 2.77 final drive for more fuel economy and normally drives the front axle. Depending on conditions the torque can be split front to rear up to 100%.

I have not driven the TV system but the Intelligent AWD I drove in the winter snow and slush is very effective. No slipping or sliding in straights or turns.  

#13 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:32 AM

Even the 3.0 with TV utilizes the intelligent AWD system. It is FWD until conditions call for torque to be sent to the rear. What the TV does is send more torque to the outside rear when cornering and applying throttle. There is a gauge in the instrument cluster that shows where the torque is being applied.

As you said, winter traction is excellent with these systems. The TV does improve dry weather handling but you have to push the car pretty good to really experience it.

Edited by brucelinc, 06 April 2017 - 01:35 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:1999 Renault Megane Convertible (222'222km), 2012 Toyota GT86 (77'777km), 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
  • LocationMetro Detroit Area

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Yes, I like the little torque vect gauge as well. Problem is, that when driven properly, I cannot take my eyes off the road, to see the vectoring in action. I can say, that it handles brilliantly for such a big car.

And my inital comment was about the Focus RS' torque vectoring, that is more RWD biased in Sport Mode. 

-- 

"There is a curse. They say, may you live in intersting times!", Terry Pratchett

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·