Welcome to the official Lincoln Continental Club
- approved by the Lincoln Motor Company -

Custom Search

The 2017 Lincoln Continental Forum is Here

Welcome to Lincoln Continental Forum - Lincoln Continental Registry

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Continental Forum and the Lincoln Continental Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community. The sign up process is simple, fast, free and requires minimal information for you to signup.

Lincoln Continental Club Benefits Include:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account or login with Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Test Driving a 2017 Continental

2017 Continental

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim Ayres

Jim Ayres

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKZ
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCosta Mesa Ca.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:24 AM

Me, test driving a 2017 Continental.Attached File  14022139_10207236348411933_5005469267830155270_n.jpg   141.43KB   0 downloads

• howfaun3 likes this

#2 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• Continental Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:3.0L GTID
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Could you please share some of your impressions?

#3 OFFLINE   Jmt21022

Jmt21022

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKS Ecoboost
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMansfield, Ohio

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

What brucelinc said

(Before we have to hunt you down and hurt you! LOL)

• brucelinc likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Jim Ayres

Jim Ayres

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa Ca.

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

Sorry for the late response guys. Just too many Facebook groups and forums to keep track of.

First of all, let me preface my comments by saying that I haven't driven any of the other luxury cars, so I can't make any comparisons.

I can tell you that pictures of the Continental don't do it justice. You have to see it in person to appreciate the beauty and quality of the car. I love the electronic door handles. The doors open effortlessly, and close softly. No need to slam the doors shut. The 30 way Perfect-Position seats are extremely comfortable, but will take a little bit of playing with to find your perfect position the first time. The instruments and controls were fairly intuitive, but as with my MKZ, it will probably take the average person a couple of weeks to get used to everything. The cabin was extremely quiet, even more so than the MKZ, and the ride was exceptionally soft without being floaty or mushy. I didn't have a chance to really put the car through it's paces, but it seemed to handle very well for a large car. The steering was responsive and gave just enough road feel. Lincoln says that it gives you a serene effortless experience, and that truly describes the feel of the car. The car that I drove had the 400 hp twin turbo V6. Not sure how fast it is, but it was extremely quick off the line, especially for such a large car. It's the perfect car for driving in traffic, or on a long road trip. Lastly, the Revel Ultima sound system is a must have option! I'm no audiophile, but it's without a doubt the best audio system I've heard in a car.

If my 2015 MKZ is any indication, the Continental should be a very reliable car. I just hope I can afford it when it's time to get a new car.

Attached Files

• howfaun3 and brucelinc like this

#5 OFFLINE   Thomas

Thomas

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • LocationUS

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:45 AM

wow so cool cant decide if I would want old one or the new one :)

#6 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the review, Jim.  I'm glad to hear that the ride was soft.  The harsh ride was one of the few disappointments I had with my 09 and 13 MKSs.  I just ordered the same one that you drove but in black.  I ordered every option except for the winter floor mats.  I was conflicted but finally ordered 19" wheels because I thought that maybe my 20'" wheels were contributing to my hard riding MKS models.  I would have liked to compare the ride in both 19" vs 20", because the 20s look better, but it will be a while before I could do that.  I'm expecting my car in December, give or take a couple of months.  My dealership here in Minnesota hopes to have a demo car (no test drive, maybe test ride) by late September.  The big engine is supposedly late availability, so it is encouraging to hear that you got to drive one.  The Midwest is always behind the East and West coasts.  We do have cell phone service and Internet here now, though. I will be curious to see, drive, and evaluate a Hyundai Genesis G90 but they are not bothering to share price or availability info.

My only disappointments in the Continental are the same old 6 speed transmission, instead of the 8 speed now offered in most modern luxury cars, and the lack of a full featured head-up display.  I guess they have to room for future upgrades.

Edited by johncongemi, 31 August 2016 - 05:08 PM.

• brucelinc and Jim Ayres like this

#7 OFFLINE   Jim Ayres

Jim Ayres

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa Ca.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

Glad to hear you've got one on order John. I'm sure that the 19" wheels will give you a better ride than the 20".

Looking forward to seeing pics when you get it.

#8 OFFLINE   Thomas

Thomas

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:07 PM

I always found the 20 to big and never fit right

#9 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

John, I am also in Minnesota and have been planning on a Continental.  I have decided to wait until late winter or early spring to order, though.  I want to test drive them and review them a bit more closely before deciding.   Besides, my dealer flat told me that I can expect a better deal if I wait 6 months.   I will be getting the 19" wheel/tire combination for sure.  Like you, I prefer a bit more relaxing ride over our climate ravaged streets and roads.

#10 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hi, Bruce.  You are probably wise about waiting for a better deal.  I wish I had patience, like you do, but that has never been my forte.  My "deal" will be X plan and a generous trade in.  I will be hoping for an attractive loan rate. Speaking of wheels/tires, I recently learned that the 20" wheel will be offered with a foam augmented tire for a softer and quieter ride.  So I contacted my dealer and asked him to try to catch my invoice and switch.  Then I learned that that tire will only be available in a summer/performance version.  So they are switching me back. Doing a lot of research is a mixed blessing.  In spite of word that the the 3.0 would be late, now they tell me they will start building 9/23 so it could be late October or November.  The rumor is that a demo car may show up in the TC in September.  If you haven't been to your dealer lately, the final version of the brochure is out.  Keep in touch if you have any questions after I get mine.

#11 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

Yes, I have the latest brochure and my dealer is going to call me when they have the demo car in.  They are also saying September.  They also indicated that the first retail deliveries would likely be between Halloween and Thanksgiving.   

With winter coming on, I decided that I would drive the MKS awhile longer.  Assuming the Continental is all that I think it will be, I will order around February or March when production is ramped up and I have had a chance to thoroughly review the cars and colors.  If I can get one by late May/early June, I will be happy.  

Typically, I am incredibly impatient!  However, I still love my MKS so it is not much of a burden to keep it a little longer.    

#12 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Once I decided on Continental, my choices were easy.  My 09 MKS was white, my 13 is black.  I decided to stay black, and ordered the Terracotta inside just for some contrast.  I got every option and package except winter mats.  I'll get aftermarket ones.  I drove Lexus, Mercedes, and Jaguar and decided that Continental would be the best value and I like the looks.  I'm gambling on the ride, but optimistic.  The only other car I would have been interested in is the Hyundai Genesis G90, but they still secretive about when and price, so I gave up on them.

#13 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

My plan is to go with white platinum and the terracotta interior.    I wish the cappuccino interior came with the dark walnut swirl wood.  Instead, the wood is a dull gray.  The all-black and terracotta interior have the dark walnut swirl and I much prefer it.  If not for that, I would likely get the cappuccino interior.  

#14 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:16 PM

I also prefer the walnut swirl.  On my white 09 I went crazy with an aftermarket walnut kit.  It looked a little garish.  I kept my black 13 stock walnut.  I spent some time choosing black again.  I thought about alternating back to white but a prefer GM's white to Lincoln's.  On the pictures I've seen the white looks amazing.  The roof looks black making it almost 2-tone, very striking.  Do you think you will go 3.0?  The back seat option was very expensive but I indulged myself.  My wife is now speaking to me again, but still frowning.

#15 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I will definitely go with the 3.0 and the Reserve series. I will pass on the rear seat option and the fancy headlights but otherwise everything else.

I also prefer GMs white diamond paint. I wish Lincoln's white platinum had a bit more sparkle to it.

#16 OFFLINE   Thomas

Thomas

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

do you have the photo of the white Diamond?

#17 OFFLINE   Jim Ayres

Jim Ayres

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa Ca.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

Thomas, I believe you mean White Platinum. It's hard to see any sparkle from these pics, but here are a couple.

Attached Files

#18 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

White diamond is a General Motors color. It has more "pop" than white platinum.

A Minneapolis area dealer has informed me that they have a Continental in stock for test drives. Looking forward to that!

#19 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Has anyone else test driven one?   Jim sounds like he was impressed and so was I when I drove one.  I would enjoy hearing comments from others.

#20 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

I am also waiting for more comments.  I know a base model is available to drive in my state, but I am still waiting for a demo car at my dealer.  At this rate my car may show up before the demo car.  While waiting, I did more research on the Hyundai G90.  Pricing is comparable to the Reserve.  Drawbacks are (apparently) no massage (at least in front,) and my dealer won't take an order, only willing to search local or national inventory.  Pluses are 6 year/60K warranty, V8 available, power rear side window screens, 3 years free maintenance, 8 speed trans, 21.9 gal tank,12.3" screen, 3 years Sirius traffic, free map updates for 3 yrs, full color head up display, wireless phone charging. I convinced myself to stick with Lincoln, and stick with USA made, but the G90 sounds pretty attractive.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2017, Continental

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·