Welcome to the official Lincoln Continental Club
- approved by the Lincoln Motor Company -

Custom Search

The 2017 Lincoln Continental Forum is Here

Welcome to Lincoln Continental Forum - Lincoln Continental Registry

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Continental Forum and the Lincoln Continental Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community. The sign up process is simple, fast, free and requires minimal information for you to signup.

Lincoln Continental Club Benefits Include:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account or login with Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Test Driving a 2017 Continental

2017 Continental

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:ML350
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

G90/80 have received many good reviews, especially when they were known as the Equus and Genesis by Hyundai.  Dollar for dollar they were rated a best buy.  I don't like it because it does not have fold down rear seats.  I seldom have people in the back and could use the space.  But more than that, the dealer experience at the Hyundai dealership I test drove one at really was bad.  If you want a nice diamond ring don't go to the jewelry section of Sams, go to a real jeweler.  Same with a car - if you want a luxury car with the luxury experience don't go where they sell Elantras.

Brucelinc, I don't know about GM having a color called "White Diamond" but my ML350, as well as many other Mercedes models, come in an option premium color known as "Diamond White".

#22 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• Continental Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

Hi, Shortspark.  Fold down rear seats would be nice but I haven't seen them on luxury sedans.  The only experience I've had so far with Hyundai dealerships were over the phone.  I called 2 different dealers hoping to geta' probable date for availabilty or for a test vehicle.  One didn't know what a G90 was, and the other was not at all helpful, only saying " probably a few months, at least."  So I would be uncomfortable dealing with them but the car sure looks nice.

#23 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:3.0L GTID
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

John, you mentioned that the 20 inch tire/wheel package with the foam lining under the tread was a summer only tire. That is not what the website says nor is it my dealer's understanding. It is supposed to reduce tire noise and I was told it was an all season tire - much different than the summer only tires. I would like to know for sure.

EDIT:  Apparently, the foam lined tires are not available yet.    Currently, Continentals with the 20 inch tires are using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric all-season tires.  They are not a foam lined tire.

Edited by brucelinc, 27 September 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

Bruce, thanks for correcting my earler info.  I was going by what I read and then my dealer mistakingly confirmed it.  Obviously this info was either dead wrong or just prematurely innacurate.  I believe at the time I looked up the only foam lined tire I could find and it was a Continental only made in Performance.  Your clarification will be helpful to anyone trying to decide.  I wonder which website(s) you referred to that had the correct information.

#25 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:39 PM

I saw a number of cars on Autotrader with the 20s and could read the tire label. I then looked the tire up on Tire Rack.

#26 OFFLINE   Thomas

Thomas

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for all the info

#27 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

Bruce, thanks for correcting my earler info.  I was going by what I read and then my dealer mistakingly confirmed it.  Obviously this info was either dead wrong or just prematurely innacurate.  I believe at the time I looked up the only foam lined tire I could find and it was a Continental only made in Performance.  Your clarification will be helpful to anyone trying to decide.  I wonder which website(s) you referred to that had the correct information.

John, we haven't heard from you for awhile.  Do you have your car yet?  There have been a lot of nice reviews on the Continental.  

#28 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:29 AM

Hi, Bruce.  Thanks for checking in.  I did not buy, or at least did not receive my Continental.  I had it ordered (Reserve 3.0 AWD Black on Black 19" wheels, everything including back seat.)  For over a month my dealer tracked it through the factory, through each shop, to the truck.  I still hadn't driven a Reserve but I drove 2 Selects.  I was not overly impressed with the ride, but assumed/hoped that the Reserve's suspension would help.  I also drove a new MKZ.  I liked the big Panaramic sunroof.  The forward glass slides half-way back and stops; then you hit the switch again and continues back, fully opened over the front seat.  Then I got into the Conti and when the glass stopped open about 11" (I'm guessing) I hit the switch again....nothing.  Very disappointing that the Continental has a lesser moonroof than the MKZ.  Regardless, I was still excited about getting the car the I researched for a year.  My plaque for 1 of the first 1500 orders showed up with my name on a brass plate.  Classy.

Then my dealer called to tell me it was arriving, or so I thought.  Apparently they had built 78 cars, and 3 were called back at the last minute for some unknown, non-repairable defect.  Of course, mine was I of the three.  Just bad luck, I was told.  I had 36 hours to regenerate the order, expedited, or go to the bottom of the list.  I told the dealer that I had to sleep on it for more than 2 days.  My dealer, with whom I've had a good relationship over 2 MKSs, agreed to reorder and if decided not to take it he would have it for inventory.  His only requirement was changing the wheels to 20" (better looks, stiffer ride.)  I agreed.  

That same day the (no longer a Hyundai) Genesis, which I had been anxious to test drive, arrived in town.    I drove the V6 Turbo AWD, and I loved it.  It has no massage, and the back seat is not as fancy, only reclines, and that only on the V8.  The moonroof is not panaramic, but at least it finishes opening.  It has some other pluses, like a 5 year 60K mile warranty, full color HUD, 3 years of complimentary maintenance, 12.3" screen, 8 speed trans, 3 annual map updates, wireless phone charge, power rear side window sunshades, 3 years Sirius traffic, and an available 5.0 liter V8.  Otherwise, very similar stuff as the Continental.  Then, a Black V8 showed up at another dealer.  I came in the day it arrived.  They rushed the clean-up, and I drove it.  I came prepared to buy it and drive it home if I was impressed, just having been "gilted" by Lincoln, but still pining for my original Continental dream car.     

My bad luck continued.  They accepted my 2013 MKS in trade, then told me that they needed to keep my car in the showroom for 4-5 weeks until the received another car.  I was again disappointed and almost ready to walk out and drive my MKS home, especially knowing that I had a Lincoln order pending.  There are 3 Hyundai dealers in MN that are authorized for Genesis. Each has gotten one car, and each is waiting for a second. The first batch was 75 cars shipped nationwide .They apologized and offered me a G80 loaner, to keep until they would release my car.  Naturally, I wanted to wait until I received it to pay, and for all of my timelines to start, and they agreed.  The G80, incidentally, is a really nice car.

This all happened on 10/21.  Now they have a press release about a guy in Round Rock, Texas, who purchased the "first" G90 in the Country on 10/26.  Shoulda' been me.  

I will continue to look in on this forum.  If some of the future reports pan out, I may be back looking at the Lincoln again when my 3 year lease is up.  

Thanks for the good conversations.

#29 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

I agree the Continental moonroof is very poor.   Just the fact that it goes up and over the back instead of tucking neatly between the roof and headliner was enough for me to pass on it.  It barely vents and the opening is very small.  Since I haven't opened the roof of my MKS for 3 or more years, a moonroof is not a big deal to me, anyway.

Personally, I think ordering one of the first Continentals to be built was risky since it is an entirely new model.   I know there were some quality issues on the first ones.    I am surprised that you weren't impressed with the ride, though.   I much prefer the 19" Michelins to the 20" Goodyears but I found both to provide a very nice balance between ride compliance and handling.  

Thanks for letting us know what was going on!

EDIT:  I just went to the Genesis website and did a build & price.  WOW....way more than I would want to spend but it looks like a nice car!

Edited by brucelinc, 05 November 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:15 AM

Actually, using all of the available discounts for the fully loaded Continental, and the fully (only way it comes)  G90 V-8, prices were very close.  If I stepped down to Turbo v-6, like the Lincoln, it was a few $ less.  Still, the G90 comes out a little more for 2.7% financing, vs. Lincoln's 0%.

#31 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

The way I want the Conti, it is several thousand less.   I am not getting the rear seat package, the LED headlights or the moonroof.   

My personal opinion is that the sweet spot for Continental pricing is between 55 and 67K MSRP.   The car can be bought for invoice which is about 3.5 to 4K under MSRP. There are many ways to configure the car to fit in that price range, depending upon buyer tastes.     Once the car is optioned much higher than that, the competition becomes more intense.   If I were in the market to spend fully loaded Black Label money, I would probably be looking at other makes.

#32 OFFLINE   johncongemi

johncongemi

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

Bruce, I hear you.  I am a gadget freak, and usually wind up buying fully loaded.  Your's is a more sensible approach.  You get a great looking and well equipped car, and the fully loaded one looks identical.  One cooment.  I've never had a HUD.  My loaner has it and I am hooked. I never have to take my eyes off the road; all the info is their.  I think that eventually it will quietly become standard on most cars.

#33 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

I know the Conti will have HUD soon.  I spent some time with a Lincoln rep who trains dealers and he told me that HUD would be coming very soon.   It is described in the owners manual already.   I have never had it so I decided not to wait for it although it would be cool.   I ordered a Reserve 3.0, climate and tech packages, 30 way massaging seats, CD, and Revel.   I think it will suit me fine and it was within the budget that I had planned.  

I am sure you will enjoy your Genesis.  They are a lot of car for sure.

#34 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • LocationDearborn, MI.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

There is an event at the Longwood dealer here in Longwood, Florida coming up soon. Is anyone going?

Parks Lincoln of Longwood / 03 December from 10am - 4 pm

Edited by robertlane, 29 November 2016 - 08:36 PM.

How to use this Forum:'

Quick tutorials are here

Software guide is here

#35 OFFLINE   Stryke21

Stryke21

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:2.7L GTDI
  • Current Vehicle:2002 Lincoln Continental
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

Sorry for the late response guys. Just too many Facebook groups and forums to keep track of.

First of all, let me preface my comments by saying that I haven't driven any of the other luxury cars, so I can't make any comparisons.

I can tell you that pictures of the Continental don't do it justice. You have to see it in person to appreciate the beauty and quality of the car. I love the electronic door handles. The doors open effortlessly, and close softly. No need to slam the doors shut. The 30 way Perfect-Position seats are extremely comfortable, but will take a little bit of playing with to find your perfect position the first time. The instruments and controls were fairly intuitive, but as with my MKZ, it will probably take the average person a couple of weeks to get used to everything. The cabin was extremely quiet, even more so than the MKZ, and the ride was exceptionally soft without being floaty or mushy. I didn't have a chance to really put the car through it's paces, but it seemed to handle very well for a large car. The steering was responsive and gave just enough road feel. Lincoln says that it gives you a serene effortless experience, and that truly describes the feel of the car. The car that I drove had the 400 hp twin turbo V6. Not sure how fast it is, but it was extremely quick off the line, especially for such a large car. It's the perfect car for driving in traffic, or on a long road trip. Lastly, the Revel Ultima sound system is a must have option! I'm no audiophile, but it's without a doubt the best audio system I've heard in a car.

If my 2015 MKZ is any indication, the Continental should be a very reliable car. I just hope I can afford it when it's time to get a new car.

It's really a lovely car. 

#36 OFFLINE   JOEHIO

JOEHIO

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'06 Explorer Limited, '09 Lincoln MKS
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

Hi, Bruce.  You are probably wise about waiting for a better deal.  I wish I had patience, like you do, but that has never been my forte.  My "deal" will be X plan and a generous trade in.  I will be hoping for an attractive loan rate. Speaking of wheels/tires, I recently learned that the 20" wheel will be offered with a foam augmented tire for a softer and quieter ride.  So I contacted my dealer and asked him to try to catch my invoice and switch.  Then I learned that that tire will only be available in a summer/performance version.  So they are switching me back. Doing a lot of research is a mixed blessing.  In spite of word that the the 3.0 would be late, now they tell me they will start building 9/23 so it could be late October or November.  The rumor is that a demo car may show up in the TC in September.  If you haven't been to your dealer lately, the final version of the brochure is out.  Keep in touch if you have any questions after I get mine.

Hi John & Bruce, Don't know if you remember me from MKS forum, had a '09 in Cinnamon for the wife, now she has a '15 in Luxe, every available option, including AWD.  Our dealership (Maplecrest in Union, NJ) has offered me a Continental for a weekend, going to give it a try for my wife.  `She really loves her MKS, everything EXCEPT the slide controls and no knobs for radio/heat, etc.   I hope that she doesn't find the new Continental TOO big for her.  Will probably wait another week before I decide to take one for the weekend, as we are to get 1`8+ inches of snow in 2 days.  Will keep you guys posted on our decision.

Got myself a '16 MKX in November, this one also totally loaded, including the 2,7 Ecoboost.  Had my '12 MKX for 5 years, decided on a new one, we're only going around once in life.

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO, 13 March 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

I remember you, JOEHIO.   The Continental is smaller on the outside than the MKS but has vastly more room inside - particularly the back seat.  It also drives like a smaller car - much more nimble, better visibility and more maneuverable.   

I would say that the primary advantages of the Conti over the MKS are better handling, MUCH better seats, and more rear seat room.   The Conti is slightly quieter although not by much.  The ride might be a tad more refined  but, again, not by much.  Overall fit/finish and quality of the Continental is a bit better than the MKS.  The 3.0 engine in the Conti is a real jewel.  It is a quieter idling engine than the ecoboost and it has serious punch to it - even more than the MKS Ecoboost.  

I look forward to hearing your impressions.

#38 OFFLINE   JOEHIO

JOEHIO

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'06 Explorer Limited, '09 Lincoln MKS
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

brucelinc,

Thanks for the feedback on the Conti.  I hope that she likes the Conti, need a change.  I can't believe that we had her '09 MKS for almost 7 years, she really loved that color.

If the Conti is actually a bit smaller exterior dimension wise, this will be a BIG SELL for her.  WE only had about 9 inches of snow today, but freezing rain mixed in at times, a real mess.  Hopefully weather will change on another week, so I can graciously accept the weekend loaner from Maplecrest.  Will keep you posted.

Joe

#39 OFFLINE   Stryke21

Stryke21

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:2.7L GTDI
  • Current Vehicle:2002 Lincoln Continental
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

I can't wait to try driving it too.