Welcome to the official Lincoln Continental Club
- approved by the Lincoln Motor Company -

Custom Search

The 2017 Lincoln Continental Forum is Here

Welcome to Lincoln Continental Forum - Lincoln Continental Registry

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Continental Forum and the Lincoln Continental Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community. The sign up process is simple, fast, free and requires minimal information for you to signup.

Lincoln Continental Club Benefits Include:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account or login with Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Michelins for Continental as an alternative?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Continental Club Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:3.0L GTID
  • Current Vehicle:2000 VW Passat GLS 1.8t
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationEast SF Bay Area

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

The Reserve series features ZR rated tires in the 20" wheel options. Personally, I found the ride quite acceptable on 20's so I don't look to drop to 19's...but IMO the OEM Goodyears are NOT that acceptable.  Maybe Goodyear has improved, but I'd rather drop the ZR rated series tires on the LINC for some quality Michelin tires. I have no intentions of whizzing around in the LINC on public roads at 140mph anyways.

The OEM Pirelli option hasn't been seen much, and they are pricey, and IMO won't ever touch the Ride and Mileage of Michelin....so anybody out there already act on this and explore the option? Thx!

#2 OFFLINE   Town

Town

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:2.7L GTDI
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

What size tires are fitted to your 20" rims?  

The Canadian Reserve AWD has 255/45R19" Michelin MXM4 with a 100 load range and V speed rating, however, the same model with optional 20" rims that I test drove had 245/40R20 but I don't recall the tire make or model.  The Michelin Canada site confirms those sizes as factory spec.

#3 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

What size tires are fitted to your 20" rims?  

The Canadian Reserve AWD has 255/45R19" Michelin MXM4 with a 100 load range and V speed rating, however, the same model with optional 20" rims that I test drove had 245/40R20 but I don't recall the tire make or model.  The Michelin Canada site confirms those sizes as factory spec.

I don't own the car yet, but have driven three...one Select with 19" and two Reserves with the 20's. Both Reserves were wearing Goodyear's ZR OEM tire. I have been told that there haven't been any with the OEM 20" ZR Pirellis seen on the road in the states yet.

P245/40ZR20 is the OEM size for the 20" wheels in the USA models.   

(edit) A bit off point is that I just found that BF Goodrich makes a G-Force Comp-2 P245/40ZR20 A/S tire that seems to be rated pretty highly. ( via tire rack)

But it's not a Michelin.

Edited by 1BlinkGone, 26 April 2017 - 11:00 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Town

Town

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

The Canadian version Reserve AWD with 20" wheel option use Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season in size 245/40R20. I did not look for speed rating or load rating. Tire Rack offers the same tire with a load range of 99 and a speed rating of W, so probably the same.

#5 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

One of the reasons that I went with the 19s was because they are Michelins.  I also prefer the style of the wheel compared with the 20s.  

#6 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

Thank you guys.

Brucelinc, IIRC, the 19" OEM spec is NOT a ZR rated tire, simply an 'R', correct?  If that is the case, all I need to do is find a Michelin P245/40R20 sized tire of choice and proper load range and be done with it.  (I don't mind the downgrade from ZR rating.) Having said that, when we aquire our Linc, i do wish to try the Pirelli's once, just for grins.  Me, I DO like the 20" wheel styling (NOT THE BLACK LABEL wheel, though), and I find the difference in ride, while perceptible, not that vast.  A second try may weigh that view differently, though. The Select I drove with the 19" was ULTRA-smooth...

(edit) Just found another 20" ZR option...the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S 245/40ZR20...pretty high reviews, decent price (tire rack)...but it's not a Michelin.

Edited by 1BlinkGone, 26 April 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Town

Town

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:39 AM

The ZR rating is R for radial construction and Z for speeds of 149mph and over and may appear in the tire size designation. For vehicles capable of speeds over 186 mph the Z must appear in the tire size designation.

The stock 19" tire rating is load range of 100 and speed rating of V. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 255/45R19 meets that spec exactly.  The stock tire pressure is 33 lbs/sq" 

In early March I test drove a Reserve with the 20" wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric all season tires 245/45R20 (stock tire pressure of 39 lbs/sq") and while I thought the ride was very good except when hitting sharp bumps, they do not compare to the 19" Michelins for ride quality, not even close.  The 20" wheel and tire look very skinny beside the 19" with much bigger tires. But I am not a fan of very low profile tires and very high running pressures, so somewhat biased.

#8 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

The ZR rating is R for radial construction and Z for speeds of 149mph and over and may appear in the tire size designation. For vehicles capable of speeds over 186 mph the Z must appear in the tire size designation.

The stock 19" tire rating is load range of 100 and speed rating of V. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 255/45R19 meets that spec exactly.  The stock tire pressure is 33 lbs/sq" 

In early March I test drove a Reserve with the 20" wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric all season tires 245/45R20 (stock tire pressure of 39 lbs/sq") and while I thought the ride was very good except when hitting sharp bumps, they do not compare to the 19" Michelins for ride quality, not even close.  The 20" wheel and tire look very skinny beside the 19" with much bigger tires. But I am not a fan of very low profile tires and very high running pressures, so somewhat biased.

Yes, I came out of the auto industry...familiar with the jargon.  My point was that if the 19" OEM tires are NOT "Z" but simply R (radial), then the 20" ZR rating is not necessary, IMO. The car is either capable of ZR speeds or not. lol...Hmm...I don't care for the OEM 19" wheel aesthetics, but certainly could come up with a classy aftermarket solution. Interesting point about the 20" profile appearance.  Since my wife's 2007 Charger RT/RT had 20" OEM P245/40R tires I'm pretty adjusted to what they offer and the ride didn't bother me at all.  Of course, in a Continental, IMO ride is even more important. Thanks!

#9 OFFLINE   Town

Town

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

I checked on the speed rating for the 20" wheel; the load rating is 99 and the speed rating is W which is 168 mph.

#10 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:19 AM

I checked on the speed rating for the 20" wheel; the load rating is 99 and the speed rating is W which is 168 mph.

Thanks, Town.  Right now my thoughts are moving towards the 19's (so many more tire options), perhaps with a nice, forged 19" aftermarket wheel for the Continental.

Edited by 1BlinkGone, 27 April 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   polo

polo

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln/Cadillac
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

Anyone consider the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus for a more comfortable ride...?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·