Welcome to the official Lincoln Continental Club
- approved by the Lincoln Motor Company -

Custom Search

The 2017 Lincoln Continental Forum is Here

Welcome to Lincoln Continental Forum - Lincoln Continental Registry

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Continental Forum and the Lincoln Continental Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community. The sign up process is simple, fast, free and requires minimal information for you to signup.

Lincoln Continental Club Benefits Include:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account or login with Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Continental at the track

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• Continental Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:3.0L GTID
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

I wonder how many old farts with Continentals will run them at the drag strip?   I only got in one run before a thunderstorm shut us all down.  I launched it really easy with the plan of getting more aggressive with it in later runs.  Unfortunately the rain spoiled my plan.  I ran a 13.56 which is decent for being 100% stock and really humid air.  I think with a brake boost launch and better air, it would run 13.3 stock.  I am still waiting on Livernois to develop a tune for it.  

bullet%20at%20Brainerd3_zpsd8rcmtjp.jpg

Bullet%20at%20Brainerd_zps2sbznxdz.jpg

• Jmt21022 and Twinguin like this

#2 OFFLINE   Jmt21022

Jmt21022

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKS Ecoboost
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMansfield, Ohio

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

brucelinc, you are a ROCKSTAR! LOL

• brucelinc likes this

#3 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

LOL....not many Continental owners are as crazy as I am.  

#4 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2000 VW Passat GLS 1.8t
  • LocationEast SF Bay Area

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

I LOVE it!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:1999 Renault Megane Convertible (222'222km), 2012 Toyota GT86 (77'777km), 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
  • LocationMetro Detroit Area

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

Brilliant - someone had to put that lovely engine to a good use.

-- 

"There is a curse. They say, may you live in intersting times!", Terry Pratchett

#6 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

I now have a mild tune in my Continental - mainly quicker and firmer shifts at heavy throttle, ignition timing advanced 2 degrees and about 2 PSI more boost.  It was a hot and humid night at the track so no one was setting the world on fire but the mild tune made quite a difference.  My car is 505.  Based on racing calculators which use the data from these timeslips, my 0-60 MPH would be 4.26 seconds.   Not too shabby.   There is still a lot of tuning potential but I am not sure if I will take it any further.  

Here is a video of the Conti taking out a Jeep SRT8.  Note the sound...In sport mode, the active noise cancellation allows much more engine sound and you can really hear the turbos! 

https://youtu.be/xG2bzHgjy4E

Attached Files

• Twinguin likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:1999 Renault Megane Convertible (222'222km), 2012 Toyota GT86 (77'777km), 2018 Mustang GT Convertible

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

I love this!  :worship:

Couple of questions: I am not to familiar with the dragstrip and timing things, would you mind explaining the different lines of the printout (I did get the quarter mile and speed, reaction time (?).

The sound in sport mode, did that come from your new tune as well?

This car is unexpectedly so much fun. 

-- 

"There is a curse. They say, may you live in intersting times!", Terry Pratchett

#8 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

Reaction time has nothing to do with the car - it is just how quickly the driver reacts to the green light.   Reaction time has NO effect on the other numbers on the timeslip but can effect who gets to the finish line first.   Otherwise, the timeslip shows how quickly the car covers the first 60 feet, the first 330 feet, the 1/8 mile time and speed, and the 1/4 mile time and speed.

There is definitely more turbo noise with the tune when in sport mode.  In Drive, you can't hear it because the active noise cancellation kills it.   

• Twinguin likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

"feet' of course - I'll never get used to inches, feet, and miles - I am stuck in metric :-)   Thanks for clearing that up.

And BTW, 0-60 mph in 4 point something - that's brilliant. 

• brucelinc likes this

-- 

#10 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

I did get into the 12s this week in spite of hot and muggy conditions.  Many car magazines like Car & Driver adjust their performance measurements to sea level conditions so weather and location doesn't affect the times.  If I did that, my car would run 12.5 in the quarter mile and 0-60 in just under 4 seconds.

My car is 631.  Car 646 was a Camaro that had traction issues.  Car 662 was a 392 Hemi Challenger Scat Pack with drag radials.  If he had run stock tires, I think I could have run with him - at least beat him through the 1/8 mile.

Attached Files

• Twinguin likes this

#11 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

You should see how much I am grinning over this. I like this and really would love to see your Conti in action.

Edit: when will you start removing unnecessary parts like rear seats, ..?

Edited by Twinguin, 28 July 2017 - 02:25 PM.

• brucelinc likes this

-- 

#12 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

You should see how much I am grinning over this. I like this and really would love to see your Conti in action.

Edit: when will you start removing unnecessary parts like rear seats, ..?

LOL.....I am pretty much finished with the tuning.  I will not be doing any bolt-ons or anything that messes up the nice ride and quiet.    As it is now, it floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.   :)

#13 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

I now have a mild tune in my Continental - mainly quicker and firmer shifts at heavy throttle, ignition timing advanced 2 degrees and about 2 PSI more boost.  It was a hot and humid night at the track so no one was setting the world on fire but the mild tune made quite a difference.  My car is 505.  Based on racing calculators which use the data from these timeslips, my 0-60 MPH would be 4.26 seconds.   Not too shabby.   There is still a lot of tuning potential but I am not sure if I will take it any further.  

Here is a video of the Conti taking out a Jeep SRT8.  Note the sound...In sport mode, the active noise cancellation allows much more engine sound and you can really hear the turbos! 

https://youtu.be/xG2bzHgjy4E

Bruce WOW WOW WOW!!  Impressive. Did Livernois finally fix you up or did you go elsewhere? Very nice job taking the Jeep SRT8 with such a mild tune ONLY.

Have you noticed any mileage penalties in your DD with that tune?  Thanks bro.

Edited by 1BlinkGone, 03 August 2017 - 07:18 AM.

• brucelinc likes this

#14 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

Bruce WOW WOW WOW!!  Impressive. Did Livernois finally fix you up or did you go elsewhere? Very nice job taking the Jeep SRT8 with such a mild tune ONLY.

Have you noticed any mileage penalties in your DD with that tune?  Thanks bro.

No, Livernois kept promising but never did deliver.  I really can't blame them.  I was the only one who requested a tune for a Continental.  It simply made no sense for them to go to the time, trouble and expense to develop a tune when the demand was nearly non-existent.  

I have been working with a guy out of Pittsburgh who is an SCT dealer and specializes in tuning SHOs. (ajpturbopittsburgh <bradleyfredrickfischer@yahoo.com)  He also has an F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost that he tuned.  I like working with him since he explains exactly what he is doing.  The process is to hook the SCT device to the OBD port and record what the engine and transmission are doing.  I then send the recording to him via email, he analyzes it, develops the appropriate tune and sends it to me to install.   He likes making small changes so we have now done 5 or 6 revisions.  He knows I do not want to go crazy with it even though there is a lot more potential.

Fuel economy is improved by about 1 to 1.5 MPG on the highway.  This is primarily due to advanced ignition timing and optimizing the air/fuel ratio.  Overall routine drivability is great.   You can barely feel the transmission shift in normal driving but at heavy throttle, it shifts very quickly and firmly.  Throttle response is very sharp.   There are absolutely no negatives other than the requirement to run 93 octane fuel - which I always have done anyway.  

• Twinguin likes this

#15 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

When I beat another Ford product like a Mustang GT, I feel like a predator who eats it's own species.  However, I will beat a Camaro any way I can.  In the second video, the Camaro driver either fell asleep at the line, killed the engine or went to the concession stand for a cold drink after we staged.   :)

https://youtu.be/vKhOQN_dHY0

https://youtu.be/DHUMJqOtBvc

• Twinguin likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

Like the "predator" thought. And said to my wife (she has a 2017 Mustang GT): "Told you the Continental is quicker than your Mustang". Well, kind of forgot to mention the special tune.  :whistling:

-- 

#17 OFFLINE   SHARONE

SHARONE

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • Locationus

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

would love to see the car on the track

#18 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

They are racing Tesla S models at the drag strip now, so why not Continentals?  Actually, Lincoln has a long history or racing in all sorts of classes.

#19 OFFLINE   SHARONE

SHARONE

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • Locationus

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Did not know that about lincoln

#20 OFFLINE   1BlinkGone

1BlinkGone

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

I personally would have no issue dusting a Mustang...hehe...oh that Coyote engine sounds so wonderful, though.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·