Welcome to the official Lincoln Continental Club
- approved by the Lincoln Motor Company -

Custom Search

The 2017 Lincoln Continental Forum is Here

Welcome to Lincoln Continental Forum - Lincoln Continental Registry

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Continental Forum and the Lincoln Continental Club. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community. The sign up process is simple, fast, free and requires minimal information for you to signup.

Lincoln Continental Club Benefits Include:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account or login with Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disappointed

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• Continental Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

Owned my 2017 Continental Select for over six weeks now. DISAPPOINTED! I've owned mostly Lincolns and Fords in the last 18 years..

Two 1998 Continentals.
One 2002 Continental.
One 2003 Mercury Marauder.
One 2007 MKZ.
One 2010 Ford SHO.
One 2011 MKZ.
Almost forgot my 1994 Ford T-Bird.

As you can see, I tend to like Ford and Lincoln products.

Because my three previous Continentals were such great cars, I decided to buy a 2017 Continental because of reputation. Big mistake.
Sure, my previous Continentals had older technology, all three were better cars. Let me elaborate.

1. I have the Standard seats, not the high cost seats. Seat adjustment is ALL WRONG. (Talking about the seat bottom, not the seat back).
Feels like I'm sitting in a wedge. Front of seat is too high, and rear of seat is too low. Can't adjust front of seat down and can't adjust rear of seat up. When I enter car, my legs rub against the steering wheel, even though is set all the way up. Hate the seat. Not comfortable. Can't travel with this car. I CANT LIVE WITH THIS SEAT. (Note, passenger seat is perfect.)

The following are small things that I can live with, however are not things that belong in a Luxury Continental..
2. Dash screens are not user friendly. Having to change menu for different dash screens. Not user friendly. (NOT talking about Sync).
3. No Engine Temperature gauge.
4. Glove box too small.
5. Battery location. Must remove air box to slide battery out. (Designed by an idiot who never works on cars).
6. Floor Mats. Worse excuse I've see for floor mats. Not up to luxury standards.
7. Panoramic Roof. Tilt is worthless. Does not tilt enough.
Like I said, I can live with 2-7, but not what you should find on a luxury car.

I had two repairs done already on two problems. Dealer replaced parts no problem, but then again, should not have been with a quality car. Dealer also checked out the driver seat and said nothing can be done as that is the way Lincoln built it.

I won't say I hate the car, but I will say I don't like it. When anyone asks me how I like my new car, I tell them the truth, that I DONT LIKE IT.
I've complained to Lincoln Concierge about the seat, but they don't care and nobody from Lincoln Corporate Office has ever gotten back to me. If Lincoln does not do anything about that uncomfortable seat, I'll just dump it and get a different brand car.

I "should" get some customer loyalty consideration, seeing as how many Lincolns and Ford products I've owned in the past.
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

Mt. Dora, FL (It Could Be Better)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#2 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:3.0L GTID
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

For goodness sake, didn't you try the seat prior to purchase to see if it met your needs? Have you tried another Conti with the same seats to make sure yours have the appropriate range of motion?

Mine has a temp gauge. I would be surprised if yours doesn't. I agree the standard floor mats are worthless and so is the sunroof. That is why I purchased afermarket mats and didn't order the sunroof.

I don't see a big deal about the battery. Actually, I think they did a nice job with space utilization under the hood. How often do you plan on removing the battery?

I seldom use the glove box but the console storage is terrific.

Seems that you could have avoided disappointment if you had spent a bit more time with a Conti prior to purchase. I am not jumping up and down in love with mine but I knew exactly what I was getting.
  • Twinguin likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:21 AM

I understand your disapproval of my post..

True, I did not drive the Conti first, because I relied on previous reputation as a quality luxury car. My 02 (and both 98's) were better. Not as much technology, but better. Bad bad me

If you have an ENGINE temperature gauge, please let me know how you pull it up..I can't find it. Only warning lamp once engine overheats. I have standard engine (and standard Select seats) compared to your 3.0 twin turbo.

As for battery location, yes, someday I may have to change it myself, vice dealer changing it. Battery will not last long due to heat, in that poor location. Ford/Lincoln batteries do not last long. Ok if dealer changes it out under warranty, like they did with my SHO and my second MKZ. But if and when I have to do the work, or if I have Advance Auto or Auto Zone do It, I doubt they will change it out for free seeing as how the air box must be removed.

My other car has the same Panoramic roof, and it "tilts" much higher than the Conti. I like to drive with the roof tilted. (Other car is a mid level model of a cheaper brand, not a luxury car).
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#4 OFFLINE   Town

Town

• Continental Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • 2017+ Continental Owners:2.7L GTDI
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7 AWD
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

You really should have driven a couple of models to determine what features you want to pay for and those you don't, and whether you like the car or not. The Select is quite different to the Reserve, and in the US there are more individual options that seem only available in packages in Canada. 

Consumer Reports did not like the standard 10 way seats either. I drove a demo with the 24 way seats that the Reserve comes with as standard equipment and they are perfect. The temp gauge on mine shows up through the Display button on steering wheel and in the Gauge option.  After a week I was used to selecting the information on trips and fuel economy and tire pressure (AWD display can wait till the snow flies since it is FWD  normally) and it is great because you get so much info at one time. 

The earlier noted idea of trying the 10 way seats on a demo model sounds like a good approach. Then you will see how your seat compares. Good luck.

I love my Continental.

• brucelinc likes this

#5 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Instead of a boost gauge, the 3.7 equipped Continentals show fuel economy where the boost gauge is located on 2.7 and 3.0 models.  Engine temp is just below that.  

P1190032_zpsymyjc02o.jpg

• Twinguin likes this

#6 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Well, I guess the Select with the standard engine never overheats <grin> as the Engine Temperature Gauge is not available. I have other options, but no Temp Gauge. Bummer. Yes, I have a fuel economy gauge in that spot.

Keeping my opinions to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrrr
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#7 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

Bob, are you sure about that? There are several options for configuring the read-outs. I still think you are missing some of them.

#8 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Nope. Been through all the menus and not available. Oh well, like I said in my first post on this thread, I can live with it..

It's the &@$#%* standard seat I can't live with.

For those who wonder why I did not want the 2.7 or 3.0 turbos, I had a 3.5 twin turbo 2010 SHO, with beaucoup horsepower and AWD.
Never used or needed the power or AWD. The standard engine is plenty enough for my needs.
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#9 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

Update.

1. Tried to bring up the Engine Temperature gauge again. Went through ALL the dash menus. Even went so far as changing the info in the left side of screen, removing the Tach screen, adding other info screens. Went back to right side menus but still no Engine Temp gauge offered. Bummer.

2. Just added the new "Lincoln Way" app which will take the place of Lincoln Financial Services, plus other things. Had no problems linking it on my lPhone 5S, but had problems linking it in my iPhone 5, and on my iPad 2. Contacted Concierge from within Lincoln Way, who talked me through. Now works great.

3. Lincoln Way Concierge then put me through to a "Service Concierge" who took all my complaints about my Driver Seat. She will set me up at dealer service to see if anything can be done. (Hey, at least they now know I don't like the seat). After I spoke with her, I tried other forward/back positions. (Remember, up/down can't be adjusted without me sitting in a deeper wedge then I already sit in). With the seat further back, the driving position is now more acceptable. Not great, but better than before. Taking a trip soon, so after I return, I'll decide if I want dealer to take seat apart. Sometimes, taking thangs apart turn out to be worse).

Edited by ctrcbob, 18 May 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#10 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

I am baffled about the temp gauge. The manual is pretty clear that they all have it and the only thing missing with the 3.7 is the turbo gauge.

I test drove 3 different Continentals - with all 3 engine choices before ordering mine. I would have sworn the 3.7 had the same gauges as the others except, of course, for the turbo.

Hope you get the seat issue worked out.

#11 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

Bruce,
I've been looking in Sync's Navi for the Altitude. In my former Mercedes, it took me months, to find it. Even after I found it, it was only in 50 foot increments. My portable Garment shows actual altitude to the foot. The Continental Navi "looks" like a Garmen, but no altitude readout.

Have you found it?

Bob
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#12 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

I have never looked for or even heard of an altitude read-out on the nav system. I like learning new things about the car but I don't think it has that.

#13 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

Lincoln Concierge has done NOTHING for me! Contacted them twice in the past two weeks. Nobody at Concierge or corporate has contacted me. One thing I've requested is that a Product Concierge (Product Concierge is my definition, not Lincolns) come to me, to see exactly what I'm talking about with the seat. They say no. I told them that when I had a small problem with my previous Mercedes E350 (which I traded for this Continental), Mercedes sent a person (Product Concierge) to my house, all the way from Daytona Beach, to see that I actually had a problem. Yes, they corrected it.

If Lincoln does not think enough of me as a customer, I don't think enough of Lincoln to recommend them to anyone who asks me "how do you like your car"?

If Lincoln has Concierge people, why should I be the one to drive to my servicing dealer (already did that and Shop Forman told me "that's the way it is")? If Lincoln wants to be considered a "Luxury" brand, they should come to me, not me going to them! (BTW, I do like my servicing dealer).

New subject. If for some reason, I still have this car when my Service Warning comes up, I will ask my servicing dealer to re-flash whatever is in the dash display, to get the Engine Temperature Gauge to show up.

Thanks Lincoln Concierge!
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#14 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:1999 Renault Megane Convertible (222'222km), 2012 Toyota GT86 (77'777km), 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit Area

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

Went back to right side menus but still no Engine Temp gauge offered. Bummer.

I think you actually have to select "no gauges" or "None" or something similar and be in the "Tach and Gauges" mode, then it goes to the default display that has the temp (and Turbo boost for the EcoBoosts).

-- 

"There is a curse. They say, may you live in intersting times!", Terry Pratchett

#15 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

Update.

Twinguin. THANK YOU. After much experimenting, I found the Engine Temperature Gauge. (Had to select NONE first then go back through the menu - go figure). Too dam complicated for us non technology people who can afford luxury vehicles. Most of us only know how to put gas in it.

Seat. --- Both my Lincoln Service Concierge and my Service Department Advisor (from my preferred Lincoln Servicing Dealer) contacted me yesterday. I have an appointment with them Tuesday morning for them to have another look-see. I will demonstrate not only what the seat does, but more importantly, what it does NOT do.
BTW, I like the Service Department at this dealer located 25 miles from me, vice the closest dealer 10 miles from me who cheated us on a repair on our last MKZ and after thinking about it, probably cheated us on repairs on my 02 Continental.

Every morning, I visit my favorite Coffee Shop in downtown Mt. Dora. Sitting here yesterday, I saw a tan Continental with two old ladies go by. No moonroof, so I think it was probably a Reserve. Two weeks ago, saw a Burgundy Reserve at Golden Corral. So now I've seen two.

Because of my seat issues, I've canceled my trip to Western New York. I may go up there to my location mid summer for a month. Will go to New Mexico in October for a month once it cools down out there. I may even get there early enough to visit Trinity Site, which is only open to the public two days a year. I stay in Roswell, but spend a lot of time in Ruidoso, Ruidoso Downs, Alto, Capitan, Cloudcroft and Lincoln.
Wish me luck with the car seat.
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#16 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Vehicle:1999 Renault Megane Convertible (222'222km), 2012 Toyota GT86 (77'777km), 2018 Mustang GT Convertible

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Glad, I could help! 

Just my 2 cents about the seats: I love them - just did a trip to Toronto with an hour and a half stop'n'go at the border - got out of the car after 5 1/2 hours totally relaxed. For me, it is a brilliant Cruiser; with some oomph, just in case :-)

• brucelinc likes this

-- 

"There is a curse. They say, may you live in intersting times!", Terry Pratchett

#17 OFFLINE   ctrcbob

ctrcbob

Continental Member

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Nothing they could do about my driver seat. Now I'm resigned that the seat is not going to get better. I've made adjustments to the way I sit, no now it's more tolerable.

Now that that problem is behind me (pun intended ), I'm going to try to start a new thread about GOOD or GREAT things about the new Continental.
Bob CTRC
USN Ret.

2017 Continental Select
2015 Brand-X

#18 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

No car is perfect, hence my short list of thinks I do not like about the Conti:

• The ride in Sport Mode - for me, that's still way too soft. I know it's not a sports car, but still, a bit more feedback would be appreciated.
  • The sound in Sport Mode - come on Ford, a bit more - doesn't need be F-Type-loud, but a bit growl ... just in Sport Mode ...
  • The sunroof should really go back a lot further - like on the MKZ. 
  • I am not really a fan of the auto trans - perfect for cruising, but in manual mode the shifts take way too long IMHO. (Who manufactures that transmission actually?)
  • And finally: I HATE THOSE MIRRORS. I.e. the glass/mirror itself and the electronic blind spot warning. Why can't they put in a decent mirror glass that is curved at the outside to get rid of that blind spot?? I've had bad experiences with Ford's electronic aides and would rather not rely on them. Sidenote: I do like the overall design, they look awesome!

I think the mirrors are a general US problem!? My wife's mustang has those tiny inset-mirrors - at least better than the electronics.

• brucelinc likes this

-- 

#19 OFFLINE   brucelinc

brucelinc

MKS Member

• PipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

I have no disappointment because I did a ton of research and test drove a number of Continentals prior to placing my order.  However, there are certainly some things that could be changed that would suit me better.

The center screen should be configurable.  I think it is silly to waste so much space telling me whose phone is connected, that 911 assist is active, how many bars I have and how much battery is left.  I also would like to see the song title and artist shown when the full map is deployed.  There is room at the top of the screen.  My old MKS really had a better center screen lay-out as far as I am concerned.

The instrument cluster also could use some changes.  Why does the speedometer "needle" continue to move and point to nothing even when using the digital speedometer?   Seems goofy.   I like the digital speedometer but I can't have it if I want the tach and boost gauge.

I think the ride in comfort mode is decent but it is still surprisingly firm.  I only put the suspension in sport mode at the dragstrip to keep the front end from lifting so much on take-off but it is way too harsh for me to use on the street.   While the car is reasonably quiet, there is still room for improvement in that area.  

The transmission tuning really fights with what is a pretty stout engine.  The torque management is so obtrusive that the shifts are slow, soft and lazy.  I would like to see the shifts firmed up.   I was used to my tuned MKS so I am likely spoiled by how beautifully it performed and shifted.

I agree with Twinguin about the mirrors.  I prefer to see the actual car in my mirror and not just a light.  I prefer the blind-spot mirrors used on cars without the BLIS system.  I would be fine to have both the blind-spot mirrors and the light.   I will say that with a bit of adjustment, the blind spots can be pretty well eliminated but I do miss the larger blind spot mirrors from my MKS or my wife's Taurus.

Again, all of the things on my wish list were known prior to placing my order.   The car's positives do outweigh the negatives for me.  

Edited by brucelinc, 03 June 2017 - 01:29 PM.

• Twinguin likes this

#20 OFFLINE   Twinguin

Twinguin

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

I think it speaks for the Conti that although brucelinc and I, for example, have completely different views about the ride, we still both like the car overall. Who would've thought that a Lincoln could do that. People also keep telling me that I am too young for a Continental, haha.

I did order mine in April 2016, just from pictures and the engine spec. I wanted to get something that I could only get in the US while I am here. And after driving an S-Class for a weekend, I thought why not giving a big limousine a try. No regrets.

• brucelinc likes this

-- 

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·